Monday, December 22, 2008

Three Plates of Gallo Pinto

Well, it’s been awhile since my last update. All last week I stayed in the home of a local woman, Doña Nieves, who is a really active in the local community. She actually has been hosting students from Xavier University and St. Louis University for many years. So when I got sick for the first time here in Nica, she knew just what to do. She has become my mamá Nicaragüense. I recently finished reading Greg Mortensen’s Three Cups of Tea. I highly recommend the book. The title comes from Haji Ali, village chief of Korphe in The Karakoram Mountains of Pakistan. The saying goes, “Here (in Pakistan and Afghanistan), we drink three cups of tea to do business; the first you are a stranger, the second you become a friend, and the third, you join our family, and for our family we are prepared to do anything—even die.” This past week at Doña Nieves’ I was thinking I could right the same about Nicaraguan friendships and a plate of Gallo Pinto, Nicaragua’s traditional dish of rice and beans. After being at her home all week, after sharing meals of rice, beans, tortillas, handmade juices and other Nicaraguan foods, I felt I had really become part of her family.

This past weekend was the first time since arriving that the six of us, this year’s community, were finally all together. It’s a great feeling to be moved in and settled in our home. This week we have been listening to lots of Christmas music, trying to get over the fact that instead of a white Christmas we’re having a hot and sunny one, and instead of eggnog we’re drinking Flor de Caña (It could be worse ;). I am feeling excited about spending this first Christmas with my new JV community. Although, I can’t stop thinking about home, and the many traditions and people I’m missing. I think it’s natural at this time to be missing home. I am also thinking about the many people who cannot be with the ones they love and miss this Christmas. This Christmas my prayer is for the many that do not feel at home because of war, homelessness, poverty, illness, death, or for whatever reason.

Finally, I want to give a shout out to my broseph who just turned 19 yesterday. Happy Birthday Nick!

I hope you all enjoy this video of our house here in Managua!

6 comments:

  1. nice obama sign in your room....si se puede! miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to see you are settling into your new home. We'll call you on Thursday morning to say hello and Merry Christmas. It will be odd to not have you here, but then, it is so RIGHT to have you there. Thanks for the tour! I remember watching something like that with you before you went down there, but I love being guided by you!! Love you!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. CRAZY!! I stayed with Dona Nieves for two months over the summer!!! Tell her I said hi and give Marian a huge huge...heck, the whole family-Dona Nieves, Nieves, and Marian!!!! Tell them I miss them! I am glad everything is going well! I'm finishing my application over break!-Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick - can you help?! I just spoke to your mom, Leah, who was a gem in helping me figure out vaccinations I will need for my upcoming year of travel! I am looking for a few short term (rather immediate) volunteer opportunities in Nicaragua. I understand you just landed for a lengthy assignment (kudos to you), and would really appreciate as you are on the ground, if you could contact me so we could chat about any organizations that you are aware of in need of help for 1-2 week assignments? ksogar@na.ko.com or on facebook at kelli sogar. muchas gracias y ten un buen dia. estoy buscando para viajar 28 deciembre!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to see that you finished another book. Snow is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. flor de cana! That was our New Years drink as well. Though we are considering trying to make eggnog too...

    ReplyDelete

El Camino Se Hace al Caminar

The Way Is Made By Walking