Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year y Feliz Año Nuevo

Today marks one month of being in Nicaragua. Part of me feels like we’ve been here for much longer, but then again I constantly feel like I just got here. We’ve been asked to speak to a group from John Carroll University. My first reaction was, “well, sure, a free lunch sounds great, but I don’t think I can tell you anything you don’t already know.” Then again, now that I’m thinking about it I’ve learned a few things in the past month…

Gallo Pinto is delicious at any time of the day, hot or cold. Sour cream on top is always a little better (when we can afford it, ha)

When hailing a cab always check for the red stripes on the license plate to make sure it’s really a cab and not some crazy ladrones

Roosters do NOT crow at dawn, but rather all night, starting around 2am

What’s reported by the US media about Nicaragua is not entirely true, and what’s reported by the Nicaraguan media about the US is either not entirely true, or is in fact US media in disguise.

I can eat the Fritanga, or street food, and not get sick. Awesome.

This morning I saw our neighbor across the street raking leaves off his roof, and then burned them in the street. Our house is now filled with smoke. Thanks neighbor.

I now realize how much I have underappreciated both chocolate and peanut butter before coming here.

On New Year’s Eve, at midnight, some Nicaraguans burn El Viejo or the old. This consists of burning an effigy of a person in the street. They stuff what looks like a scarecrow with firecrackers, douse it in alcohol, and light the dude on fire, right in the gutter.

People in wheelchairs can be pulled up the street via motorcycle. Saw it.

One hour in the sun with sunscreen left my pasty white skin scorched. Thanks ancestors.

Well, I’m sure I’ve learned more than that, but that’s what I’ve got right now. Oh, I’ve also learned how GREAT it is to get phone calls and mail from friends and family back home ;) Yesterday we went to Pochomil, a beautiful beach on the Pacific Ocean. Things here are a little out of the ordinary because Jenna and Michael’s families are visiting and none of us have started work yet. It’s probably the longest vacation I’ve ever had. I’m ok with that. I know how to relax, don’t worry. I’m currently reading 1984. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. It is bitterly cold here, enjoy the sunburn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for posting an update. So many of us are grateful. Reading about your sunburn while looking at the viejo burn... nice visual aid. Especially while sitting in front of the heat vent. Sensoround. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat....Your mom is here (1/11/09) showing me how to capture your blogs and insert comments. I'm a long way from being computer literate and I need all the help that I can get.
    Hope you are doing well...I am going to give Uncle Tom info re your address and phone #...he has a friend who is going to Managua shortly and I'll see if they have room for some p-nut butter and chocolate. Love G-pa

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude i was in nicaragua for new years last year and saw those dummies with firecrackers in them. i also wound up chillin with this one family who was feeding me flor de cana and let me break their pinata.
    did you get my christmas card?
    thinking of you often!

    ReplyDelete

El Camino Se Hace al Caminar

The Way Is Made By Walking