Sunday, August 23, 2009

Being Different

This post is primarily in response to Monica's question posted in July about being a minority in Nicaragua.
It's an interesting question because I experience different things because of my white skin. Most people seeing me for the first time assume I am a tourist or working for an NGO. I am often called "Gringo" or "Chele" in the street. The term Gringo only refers to people from the US and it's funny because there are many white people here who are not from the US but are called Gringos regardless. Also, there are many lightskinned Nicaraguans who are called Chele as well. It just means white. It's very common here to refer to a stranger by their skin tone: negro (dark or black), moreno (tan or mestizo), and chele (white). There is a common perception, and not unfounded, that white people have money. This creates certain security concerns. I personally have not had any problems. Sometimes I completely forget that I stand out so much. I take the same bus everyday so I see many of the same people along the way. I don't stand out so much. I carry a very common bootleg Jansport backpack that is ripping and dirty and mind my own business. A couple times cobradores (fair collectors) have tried to rip me off on the bus. They try to take advantage by assuming I don't know the bus fare, thus overcharging me. I always check the price beforehand and know better than to be taken advantage of.
More than discrimination I experience white privilege. At work I'm not a normal teacher. I can take off when I need to. I live simply on my $40 per month stipend, but I also have a bank account and a family in the United States. I don't think I actively exercise my privilege, but it's a reality of life here. People just assume I have tons of money, regardless whether they want to steal it or sell me something. The level of discrimination I experience here is absolutely nothing in comparison to that experienced by minorities in the US. I even hesitate calling what I experience here discrimination. But I certainly am different.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Patrick. Your "views from the road" are insightful. I look forward to reading each new posting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

El Camino Se Hace al Caminar

The Way Is Made By Walking